Lead Bench Joiner
Job overview: Jack Badger Ltd is an award-winning traditional joinery company specialising in high-end architectural joinery. We are looking to recruit a Lead Bench Joiner to our friendly team based at our workshop in Old Glossop.
Reports to: Workshop Manager
Location: Old Glossop
Salary: TBC upon application
Hours: 7am- 5pm Monday- Thursday, 7am- 1pm on Fridays
Employment type: Fulltime, permanent
If you are interested in applying for this job, please click on the button at the bottom of the page to send us an email. Please make sure you include your CV and a covering letter.
The role will involve making bespoke joinery ranging from external and internal doors and flooring, through to staircases, panelling, and kitchens, all of which are made using traditional, time-honoured techniques. In the era of mass production and automation, this is now a rare opportunity to work as an artisan joiner.
Skills and qualities
The successful candidate could put to good use their existing skills and experience and develop Jack Badger’s historical, and artisan joinery techniques.
With this in mind, the candidate should have the following skills and qualities:
· Substantial experience in all kinds of bench joinery, machining and traditional hand tools.
· A willingness to keep learning and share their knowledge with others.
· The capability to see a job through from fruition to completion.
· Experience of different types of fitting on site.
· A genuine desire to produce authentic work on historic buildings.
· A passion for the craft and hard work it takes to make our beautiful pieces.
· Ability to work accurately from working drawings.
· Capability to resolve constructional and technical problems efficiently and effectively.
· Finishing experience.
· Excellent communication skills.
· The ability to work independently, as part of a team and to take the lead in a project where required.
It would also be desirable for the candidate to:
· Have a full driving license to drive company van.
· Be able to occasionally work away on site when required.
· Own set of hand and power tools.
· First Aid training.
· Health and Safety workshop experience.
Some of the benefits we offer are:
· Daily paid breakfast
· Bupa Healthcare
· Employee Assistance Program
· Cycle scheme – bike to work scheme
· Holiday reward scheme for length of service along with additional bonus days between Christmas and New Year
· Team development days out.
About Jack Badger
Jack Badger Ltd is a team of some of the most talented and knowledgeable traditional joiners across the UK. Inspired by historical joinery and carving techniques, our style takes creative cues from Medieval designs to create considered and beautifully handcrafted internal and external doors, panelling, flooring and other architectural features, fit for modern living.
Our multi-award winning joinery studio provides the perfect base for us to blend our traditional hand carving and joinery techniques with our innovative in-house technological and CAD capabilities. This allows us to keep developing our designs and working practices, so that we can continue to take on the most innovative and complex of projects.
We work collaboratively with clients and other third parties on projects across the country. Our pragmatic approach, from unpicking historic joinery techniques, adds a diverse knowledge base to project teams, helping to refine ideas and create something truly authentic out of the best natural and sustainable wood.
In short, Jack Badger create considered, historically inspired pieces that will live and be loved for centuries to come.